Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Incidents, anxiety and grief


Today I've been feeling like crying most of the time here in the Dorm after an evening that sadly will live in the history of Great Britain and more so live on in our lives, not least the lives of the young people of our country some of which were killed and severely injured  at a concert in Manchester by the popular American singer Ariana Grande in a solo suicide bombing minutes after she had stopped performing Monday evening.
Forget the adult talk about motives and justifications although from my dorm chair I cannot  begin to imagine how you can justify killing people one of whom was only eight years of age and of injuring others from 8 upwards.
I remember only too well how my world fell in during the period shops, clubs and places of entertainment were targeted grim picture after grim picture of bombed out buildings, injured people and seeing bodies carried out.
I was ten at the time, loving to play out, play with my toys and read comics but then the big newspapers kept coming through the door with the latest bombing across its front pages, the hourly headlines on the radio and shocking footage on tv.
Its relentlessness didn't just make me nervous, I started to worry all the time my folks or my dad alone cos he travelled a lot in his work when I stay with with my grandma and grandpa worried sick if they were coming back when you heard something happened. My world no longer appeared safe.
Tonight I feel very numb about this incident, very shaken and concerned for those who today who are of a similar age to how I was and just what impact this may have on them and let us not forget the artist herself who is devastated that something she did to bring people together has had such a tragic outcome.
Everyone responds differently but one lesson we have learned in years since is being prepared to share our feelings even if it is say say less and hug more, to comfort those hurting rather than focusing on rationalizations and to offer practical help is really what it is that people need right now.
Some of that is what the people of Manchester have been doing in the last twenty odd hours to help each other and for the rest of us impacted by events is really what we need from our friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment