Monday, March 16, 2009

Taking stock

The events of the last six weeks remind me about some of experiences I had not just when I was younger but even as (on paper at least) an adult and as painful as that is I'm gonna talk a bit about that.
To be disabled, that's to say you have conditions that compared to many leave you at at such a less of function your abilities are significantly impaired that they are classed as 'disabilities' that they prevent or make very difficult is bad enough.
What often makes life harder for you is both how it is people simply won't do anything that may even be a relatively easy things to do that would help because  they have this belief that unless you can be just like them you shouldn't be with them as equals which with a few changes can easily be made so.
Some prefer to make up for this by treating you as an object of sympathy, wheeling you out of their space with sweetened tea, biscuits and a pat on the head.
Others start to act mean, deliberately tripping you up, I had one boy at school who tried to wreak the classroom and blame me cos I couldn't speak very well and if it wasn't for the intervention of one girl who had more guts and morality to speak in my defence to the headteacher, I'd of been facing a caning with a request for my folks to discuss my future at the school too which had I actually of done this would of been deserved but I didn't.
I was assaulted twice by the a couple of the year group beneath me at Junior school once in the playground and once on the route back home for being 'spastic' which as someone with Cerebal Palsy I can't help. I've also been spat at on buses by older boys.
I've been called names by random persons since leaving school, yelling 'Mong', 'Muppet' and the like either as passing on the sidewalk or in through their car windows.
Thing is, as unpleasant and unjustified as each and every one of these are I'm not giving up on being me because my disabilities, the spasticity, the learning and developmental disabilities that have a big impact on my life are me. I own them and I'm not gonna hide from people who wish to exploit or hurt me because  of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment