Saturday, January 23, 2016

School CP

For me school role play isn’t a place that is set in a fantasy, so much that it’s a run on from when I was at school in the era where Sir and Miss were Sir and Miss, children attending were called Pupils (NEVER ‘students’!) in very much their domain and while your head teacher was friendly he wasn’t your friend at school-he was an Adult Authority figure who had Authority over you.
My first school was not untypical being a infant/junior school in a Country district which was Victorian with separate doors originally intended for girls and boys but used to separate juniors from infants and their was an informal gender separation in the playground area.
It was in the era where also corporal punishment was what we expected and got - a social currency where songs were made up about it and details traded on the school grapevine - and every class room had some implement or other by the teachers desk.

Our desks were traditional wooden ones with a inkwell as we HAD to use a fountain pen by the time we’d reached Nine and a lid in which we stored our exercise books (Textbooks and any handouts were given out and collected by your teacher).
The inkwell thing got in me in very big trouble cos I was fed up of being picked on and assaulted by two boys who also stole my ink that I decided to toss a load of ink in the puddles in the playground as it had rained. Needless to say it had been detected and while the two boys got in really serious trouble for what they did when I told my headmaster this, he also explained he couldn’t excuse me for what I had done  so I got caned for it. He did all lot for me, like getting special help when in our area it wasn’t easy to find and while he disciplined me quite a bit, I loved him cos he cared enough to treat me like the others, recognizing I needed guidance  and his correction like any other child. Indeed I had for many years a teddy I named after him I slept with.
My other schools were more modern but did (depending on the teacher) use corporal punishment.
Looking back on it, we learned rather a lot in the same time-scale as today for having our teachers and school being in charge of us, not wasting time dealing with distractions an so on.
With that potted history out of the way, school replay is just like stepping back in time to those certainties with an acknowledged sense of place as that schoolchild- which in so many ways developmentally I am and being in a setting I can far better cope with.
It helps in dealing with some of my problems around not applying myself, often not even wanting to try anything that may seem hard cos in some ways only school really tried to deal with that - my folk more or less gave up on me - because in such situations (by consent) those people acting as teachers have the same sort of Authority over me as my actual teachers did.
I am now doing two weekends with permissible exceptions for Middle meet ups, actual studying, overseen, set and marked by people who do discipline me using cp and non cp methods (shame and embarrassment are effective to) to English Ks3 standards.
I have to wear my uniform and pass inspection.
Part of that is to help me with understanding more English and Math which are areas you are at a very real disadvantage if you don’t really understand  them and also to retrain me away from those habits that stop me from learning and working effectively, such as procrastination, laziness and so on.
This is starting to help in developing a more mature sense of being a middle although chunks of me simple can never be ‘adult’, helping me do my my best, making the most of the abilities - and I have some - I have rather than just no trying and using my disabilities as an excuse for just that, which I was given a heck of a lecture and spanking for

No comments:

Post a Comment