Wednesday, September 12, 2012

It's not all bad, actually

I'm pretty open to people having genuine differences of points of view however one area I find I have big issues with is the almost blanket "you must never spank a child" and it's following "we must make it illegal" and even "must remove all references to it in literature" approach.
Society is less than settled on this issue with many parents taking exception to such approaches although although we'd all agree no child must be permanently harmed through abuse.
I was of the generation whose adults were at cross purposes over this.
For instance my infant and junior schools did smack you and I was smacked in class for refusing to do my math something that I'd say hasn't made me a bad person, most say I'm one of the kindest they've met. My secondary school left it very much up to individual staff and heads of form and some of the verbal rollockings I got affected me much more emotionally in a bad way than the the odd spanking, although those who did the former thought they were more humane.
Some just said they were disappointed in me and then kept reminding me and every class they taught about what I'd done year after year. Frankly I'd rather had gotten it all over and done with with a good spanking with nothing ever said about afterward which ironically what the equivalent of Form Prefect at the school did with me anyway as I could do that or get reported to the staff.
I just feel it ought to be an option.

No comments:

Post a Comment