Wednesday, September 4, 2019

A few thoughts on disability


It is in some respects a a bit of odd time for me because apart from observing the start of new term seeing the locals return or even start school for the very first time it also is the first week where officially I have the extent of my disabilities formally reflected in the financial support I receive and from that other kinds of assistance.
People had when I was growing up very conflicted ideas around what is disability thinking it was either sensory such as blindness or being hearing impaired or being full time on crutches or using a wheelchair so not to be in that category meant you were seen as not 'really' disabled except when it suited them and they tended to push you toward the idea you didn't have one even if you clearly had a disabling condition to the point you didn't really know if should should 'tick' any boxes that asked about it.
Like you could have a disabled education but not be disabled or struggle with reading but not qualify for support with form filling or finding you way around places so the fact you could walk short distances meant you inability to use that to be independent wasn't taken into account.
A very oxymoronish world.
In effect they created a category of disabled but not disabled really people who didn't get what they needed in education, work and everyday life because of a rigid medical idea about what constitutes a disability and so were bound to struggle while others were assisted and sometimes were elevated above you when it came to accessing programs that you needed.
In some respects the change from now on is I'm in that other category but really I'm just the same as I always was so I do need to think a bit more from what I used to know in making the most of being made "Really disabled" to achieve what i am able to with that support I was in effect denied for so long.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment