Wednesday, October 2, 2019

October Rant

Well I was expecting to be down for a day or two with internet upgrades but actually the bit that would of caused it, a change of router to one that would output the faster download speeds hasn't as yet appeared although it is being chased up so I had set up posts to run and explained why I may not of been about seemingly for nothing.
Before I forget, thanks for those that read the last three fortnightly editions, yes I'd love to post weekly but it was taking too much out of me cos the one thing we can't ignore is my health issues.
One thing that more time and energy out of me on Monday was dealing with PVC leaching from the protective outer sleeves of my substantial record collection most of which I bought used from record shops in the late 1980's and early 1990's as they were getting out of vinyl and the need to deal with a cat who invaded my listening area and clawed through lp covers right through to the vinyl.
The problem if you're familiar with  chemistry or magazine/photography storage is the PVC starts to break down chemical, going  a light brown colour and leaches on to surfaces causing contamination.
This is doubly bad in the case of records because records are made from pellets that include PVC so it can affect the plastic as it transmits through card as well as weak points such the opening where the inner sleeve and record sit.  Basically it gives off a gas and forms a new pvc layer.
It can result in anything from soft crackles to loud background hiss being superimposed on the recording which is a common problem with Picture Disc singles that often get packaged that way for store appeal even though it is a really stupid thing to do.
Thus I ended up spending most of day removing covers, cleaning the discs and putting them in new PE acid free resealable outer sleeves.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment