Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Life skills

I guess the first order of business is to thank everyone for reading last weeks post and the two comments this warm week or at least it was as I type this and not necessarily just down to the suns rays!

Yes, I know this blog is kind of weird compared to most of the others you've seen listed cos it's a slice of life, emotions and smacked behinds wrapped in one and odd life stories tossed in usually cos there's a connection.

A ton of stuff you might take for granted just wasn't in my life.

Take the kitchen for instance. 

Cos I'm not good on my feet with my physical disabilities and not terribly co-ordinated, where as most people would of gravitated to it whenever anything was being made and perhaps of carried things basically I was told to stay out of there.

That meant in the absence of anything else I hadn't any knowledge of something as rudimentary in my late teens as how to make a cup or coffee, make toast with a grill, wash up and so on.

Because I find carrying things difficult, nobody took the trouble to show my how I could carry at least a few things or how to set a table.

In a way I didn't have a place in the home, certainly didn't have any responsibilities and upon seeing that it was said "doesn't do...".

Looking at that illustration even though it's pretty much of the fifties in a lot of ways feels...bitter-suite.

I'd of loved to had been dressed in almost matching dress, with a Mom who would have me in their teaching me these things and having made progress, helping me take some responsibility for doing things in the home so I could at least do something to look after myself.

Ironically it's taken caregivers mixing a chunk of that and some ol' school discipline at times to help me move on so I can do a few things and they have expectations for me just do them without reminders. 

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is great and you are a talented writer, I wished you would play O&P...
    Hugs
    B
    https://oandpspankingstories.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete