Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Junior caning past


It always seemed to me that one of things that marked out becoming a Junior was the attitude taken to how having committed some infraction or other you were treated.by parents and especially your school.
In the past although it would it would of been something more like a scolding, smacked hands and possibly having to miss recess but because we were now Juniors, we were expected to think more about what we did and because we were older we were to be went straightway to our head teacher where as before the class teacher handled it.
I have many disabilities, some it had to be said weren't identified until after I left the education system but my physical and aspects of my developmental ones were known while in a mainstream  school and for me therefore it was no different.
I was a bit more prone to acting on impulse compared to some of my classmates but not especially naughty but could act up not least when I was meant to be doing something I found hard going or I felt people were ignoring me on purpose.
The Headteacher was at least compared to some other kids I knew was actually lovely man who did care about us, often inquiring casually how we were about our lives outside of formal lessons and did heaps to help us but he did believe strongly in classroom discipline.
You could talk with a teacher but never tell them what to do or demand your terms and they wanted you to try, then you were expected to do your best, making any changes later if they felt it wasn't working. And I was prone to trying to demand things or over-reacting so my teacher would send me to his office for a lecture often with a suppressed snigger from some in the class.
That was the point when as the expression goes, the kid gloves came off as he'd lecture me, simplifying his points, before pulling out his cane at which point I gasped as it sank in something unpleasant was going to happen.
Noticing my expression and being ready to go into a 'But-but-but Mister' appeal he explained what was to happen to me HAD to be the same as the others in the class and although he loved me, my being disabled was NOT an excuse to be treated different and more to the point he refused to treat me any different and so with that, he put me over the desk.
This was point my pants came down and my main Adult Authority figure gave me six strokes of the best before hugging me and sending me in tears back to the class.
It didn't happen very often afterward but whenever I acted up up to my last Junior term, I'd end up being sent to him although it didn't effect our relationship as I understood he trying to help me behave and rightly he needed to treat me the same as the others.
Indeed up until his death we had a great relationship having kept in touch since leaving his school and his own retirement.
I have him to than for not only keeping order in our school that helped me learn but also for demonstrating discipline wasn't a bad thing and it comes out of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment