Monday, August 6, 2012

Letting out your emotions

One thing many adult kids struggle with is getting into a little frame of mind especially if you've been at college or work where you've been dealing not just with those responsibilities connected with say turning up on time and doing the task you are expected to but also talking about more grown up matters such as current affairs or medical science.
Dealing with the former I'd had to say really caused my little side to come out stamping her two feet however as you may not be able to leave some of these things then what can we do to help?
The way in which your little side can vary but for a good number of us, we need a lead piece that throws a switch in us.
For some of us it can be something that has a clear link to our pasts and for me things like Theo 2nd, my brown teddy bear is one thing that I associate with comfort, feeling safe and wanted as for all of my life not least the time I spent in boarding school, teddies always went with me.
And what I got from them was the same then as now, the ability when the day doesn't going right, something I just hold and hug closely for minutes on end, maybe even letting any tears go from whatever was upsetting me.
When I stand in The Corner with my Teddy and cry, I find I can quickly get into my "little" headspace. I don't know if it's as easy for boys to do that, but you should try it. If you are going to be Spanked, you might want to think long and hard and squeeze your teddy. You may find the tears glow well before the Wooden Paddle comes down across your bottom.
I find hugging or sitting with one on my lap afterward helps me get feel reassured everything will returned to how it was before I messed up and I've learnt my lesson.
Another thing I think is worth trying even is sleeping with it as whenever I felt the need for a bit of night-time reassurance it really helps me relax, getting a good nights sleep in.
God knows sometimes even in 'adult' life you need that restfulness hugging a teddy brings too.
Another thing that ties into this is what we generally call plushies, soft furry creatures sometimes linked to tv and film series that I think many of us like.
For me Hello Kitty is very big and when working used travelled to and from our office where she'd be on the desk with a few other bits and pieces simply because for one thing my work was emotionally stressful and for another I finding coping with being in that setting difficult so being able to create a more agreeable child-like space in the back office helped me to do my job, feeling more relaxed and in control of my emotions.
At home I have loads set out in the spaces I set around in with a few other play things that help me moving into a more child-like headspace, doing some colouring or perhaps playing with toys on the floor.
Whenever I'm away with little friends I always have a few plushies and dolls with me to bring a bit of home to wherever I'm stopping.
For some, plushies are more a collecting thing but to me they're much more than that, they're furry characters I can weave into stories I then act out on the floor or the couch, vocalizing for good measure that brings to life your imagination.
And that's the imagination of that adult kid let out, having fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment