Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Being messed about

One thing never denied on any blog post anywhere is that I have a  that good number of disabilities both interact and overlap with each other which can be hard for some who have only one disability be it minor or majorly impact on them to accept as it can be for those who may not have any (at least recognized).
This tends to mean you need to consider the whole when you and as I'm meant to as well consider how to manage  my conditions, what I can do and equally what I may not be.
This sort of scenario usually gets more complicated when other people with their own ideas and agendas  start to come in their ideas around how best to manage you or what it is they think you can manage.
One area is around me and work. I could of said employment but the difference between the two is work is a thing you do either for yourself or for another and employment is when that work is given in exchange for money in the form of wages you are said to be employed.
Not surprisingly as as many of my disabilities came from birth or childhood, I have had a number of stops and starts when it's come to holding down jobs or looking and receiving specialized training and assistance although unfortunately one main condition stemmed from  an industrial injury in work.
For a considerable period officially I had been regarded as so disabled  that even with training and assistance I would not be able to hold a position down in open employment and in this country at least 'sheltered employment' making things for govermnent and business with taxpayers support to provide employment if you couldn't work commercially on the open jobs market has been removed.
As in most social democracies, there have been payments for those of us who this wasn't possible but it was reorganized some years back with the view more people were capable (and ignoring employer side barriers to employment) so after a faff that had one form completed and been sent to a medical where the person isn't medically qualified to judge you leading to examples of people found fit to work who died days later from medical conditions but then realizing literally last minute from my medical records I couldn't be assisted into employment anytime soon, this was accepted.
This week I'm getting another of these accepted as unfit for purpose by experts apart from government Work Capability Assessments filled out and we'll see how this goes.
Strangely enough my conditions are  seen as automatic exemption from retesting but buried in the small print of an announcement made by a Minister, they can't do this until they've updated their computer systems which won't happen to the end of this year at the earliest.
This means they're retesting people who by there own admission shouldn't be because it your conditions cannot change over time.
This hasn't helped me stay calm or do anything positive to my quality of life. I'm just glad my BFF is helping to steady my nerves.


No comments:

Post a Comment