Sunday, April 10, 2011

Revisited classroom 2011


One of my last classroom experiences was attending a residential training school for the disabled which was held in a former Girls Boarding School with extensive grounds about a mile way from the town centre  and some  a quarter mile off the rail station.
The reason I was there was because I'd never received any  proper training for a career, my disabilities are such I'd need support across the whole day to get by and frankly I needed a more stricter school type structure most adult colleges don't offer to learn effectively.
Things like a rigid time-table, less lectures and more chalk and talk teaching and having to wear and being inspected on smart office uniform during class times. While corporal punishment was out, you could and I was taken out to the front to verbally chastised for such things as not using your time responsibly or being late returning to class in front of your peers.
It only took a day before we all realized we were mentally at least "at school" with very much a schoolboys and girls scene going on most days in our class with some of us clearly regressing with plushies and Winnie the Pooh pencil cases being out, the emergence of gangs and gang leaders coupled with lines being formed for our meals we had to keep to.
I through persistence and firm discipline from our instructors gained my COTAC travel industry qualifications.
Looking back on this, it does show clearly I loved being 'at school' with its rituals, social structures and the firm discipline adult settings don't usually provide and it is better for me.
I do think there is merit in being punished in each others presence not least as a deterrent to others and would accept it at an age-play school which I feel is what I'm looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment