Sunday, November 7, 2010

Age regressed reading

When it came to reading although people tried to push me toward more 'grown up' works like those by George Orwell, Thomas Hardy and Jane Austin I always longed for my Junior and early Senior favourites which no doubt would fail a diversity test for being seen as white, middle class and stereotypically girlish.
Part of the reason is language, my disabilities limit my ability to read for understanding and comprehension of plots so in a way they have to be a bit younger and in an easy to grasp  formular, the other being they key in to recreated school age-play where these were about our lives sometimes set in school itself and all read in boarding school.
Enid Blyton's Naughtiest Girl series is my favourite cos in so many ways I can readily identify with it's main character, Elizabeth Allen, whose attitude are not so removed from mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment