Wednesday, October 10, 2018

The past moves as you go forward

On Monday October 8th, buried in a document around Google and Security written in very much positive language it was announced Google + was to be "Sunsetted" and by August 2019 gone.
When you strip it of that California Lab Talk, it means the service is to close but in an orderly way with it going on to say ways of saving and reusing content you created would be offered in time so no one would lose anything by that point.
The service began in 2011 originally on a invite only basis and I was able to get one via connections to a forum and this coincided with a group other people saying they wished to break from Facebook however they soon left it for the Facebook freebees.
So much for principals.
Instead ironically it became a anime/littles/lgbtqi friendly spot I shared with others posts, promoted my blog on, at the time played Candy Crush and other games onboard that site.
A kind of a playground for little me although initially  much of that happened on the slightly more grown up account I'd created for that other group


























Part of the reason that was possible while in other context that would be outing yourself as a little was down to circles which in the original form were like the above screen shot.
You made sets for specific groups and of themselves you could have any posts you made would only go to that Circle and no others unless you added other circles in or chose Public.
I could therefor send littles stuff groups of the like minded knowing the group who'd asked me to join wouldn't have to deal with posts by little me as they'd never see them.
It had a rapid take off but by around 2014 a good number of games had left and it was a poor third to Facebook and Tumblr.
This had lead to a redesign as a more pininterest like Communities push with people making community groups and joining and I made one on the original more groan up account but noticed even that started to lag when came to participation.
An API security breach affecting 500,000 users potentially in March this year lead to a review and sober heads decided it wasn't worth throwing a lot of resource at it trying to prevent this for the low usage.
In so far as my blog(s) go I'll put posts on each to cover, they are covered by RSS, Tumblr and certain sites to encourage people to bookmark/follow as that fulfils much of the function of posting blog links on a per week basis.
I haven't used it to post anything much for a good year or so so in some respects I had come to expect this decision but as it was a part of the path of my littlespace  I do feel a bit emotional over it.
It was after all until I joined Tumblr, my home.

1 comment:

  1. Well, like a lot of things on the internet, nothing lasts for ever, not even cold November rain. One of these days, tumblr will be history like so many other features. There'll be other spaces for littles, middles, ASGs, etc, etc.

    Keep on bloggin', Joanne!

    ReplyDelete