Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Time for some Nielsen

Bit of a dull start to the day here with heavy rain as I've twanged my right calf again so I'm hobbling about following the streaming at Confuzzled, the UK premier furry event where my brother and several of my friends are at in Birmingham in the West Midlands of England.


Recently I picked up this box set following an exploration of Scandinavian music

.

Carl Nielsen was born on the Danish island of Funen on June 9th 1865, taking up music playing and attending the Royal Danish Academy of Music and is regarded as the pre-eminent composer of that country and died in 1931. His earlier works were inspired by Grieg and Brahms.


He wrote 6 symphonies all of which tended  to be around the half hour length  were written between 1892 and 1925 and have a number of common characteristics such as the prominence of the role of brass instruments  and unusual changes in tonality that have the effect of heightening the dramatic feel.


That's one reason why I wanted the whole set  and this one recorded around the 1990's bot only features the superb playing of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra  but also  an excellent warm sounding recording.


I've transferred these recordings in Lossless full cd quality for my Fiio X3 digital music player

No comments:

Post a Comment